skip to main page content :: Town & Regional Planning Home > Glossary Home > D >

Dormer / cheeks / haffits

- timber wall plate. A dormer window therefore in the proper sense of the word, is a window built off the wallhead, but the term is used to describe any window projecting from the pitch of a roof.
The vertical sides of a dormer are usually referred to as the "cheeks" or haffits (S). Dormers can often provide very good essays in local joinery and building traditions.