skip to main page content :: Town & Regional Planning Home > Glossary Home > H >

Harl \ harling

- (Scottish) a form of roughcast widely used throughout Scotland and the north of England, in which a mixture of an aggregate (usually small even-sized pebbles) and a binding material (traditionally sand and lime, latterly portland cement) is dashed, or hurled (harled) on to a masonry wall. Specially designed curved trowels are normally used but other impliments including brooms have sometimes been employed. Harling can be distinguished from the more generic term "render" by the fact that very basically, you would expect a render to be a smoother finish applied directly by trowel or float. In traditional harls the aggregate is in the mix (wet dash) in non-traditional 20th century harls the aggregate is dashed on separately (dry dash). It is generally assumed that this type of render was designed to withstand severe weather conditions. They are applied to all constructions, brick, clay stone etc. and there are numerous instances of owners setting out to expose their stonework only to find a predominance of a different material.