skip to main page content :: Town & Regional Planning Home > Glossary Home > P >


- a sunken section of door, wainscotting etc, usually a plain square or rectangle. Panel mouldings are the mouldings holding the panel in place. If they are formed as part of a stile or rail, they are termed "moulding out of stile", if they fit flush with the surface of the rail or stile, they are planted mouldings, if they wrap around the end of the rail or stile, they are bolection mouldings. The panel itself can be flat or fielded ie with the greater part of it projecting beyond the framing.
Sometimes the surface of a panel can be decorated as in "linenfold" where, as the name suggests, the decoration is based on folded linen.