skip to main page content :: Town & Regional Planning Home > Glossary Home > P >


- a general term for any horizontal timber supporting the ends of joist, rafters etc. More specifically, the term is usually taken to refer to a horizontal timber at the bottom of a timber framed wall (the sole or sill plate) or at the top (the wall plate).